Not being one who likes to give up, I decided to give Alice one more chance. I cut the skirt off the bodice, removed quite a few cm's off the skirt and decided to add a Peter Pan collar, which I had to draft. I have never done that before - so a little research was in order. I typed "drafting a peter pan collar" into google (got to love google!) and I found this great link at Learning to Fly showing you how to draft a peter pan collar. It was super easy to follow and I think I did an ok job at my first attempt. It has made a HUGE difference to the dress.
I'm still not finished, but I'm feeling a whole lot better about it tonight than I did last night.